- September 30, 2013 Handover is underway from the previous SLLS board to the new board. During this time, please bear with us; it may take a bit longer before you receive a response from a board member or before the web site is updated.
- July 11, 2013 At the General Meeting of the society during the TISLR 11 conference in London, a new board was elected, as well as new regional representatives. The University of Hamburg was elected to host TISLR 13 in 2019.
- June, 2013 Prof. Gladys Tang from the Chinese University of Hong Kong has received the Hong Kong Humanity Award 2013.
- December, 2012 The SLLS board has drafted an Ethics Statement for SLLS, which is open for discussion.
- August, 2012 The membership fees have been adjusted to facilitate participation in the upcoming TISLR 11 conference next year:
- May, 2012 Verena Krausneker and her students at the University of Vienna (Austria) have set up a Google Map of locations where sign language research takes place. At the moment, anyone with a Google account can add locations and related information.
- April, 2012 In June 2011), Prof. Brita Bergman of Stockholm University received a royal medal for her important contributions to the field in the last 35 years. More information in English and Swedish (incl. movie).
Earlier this year, prof. Bergman retired after a long and fruitful career. We wrote a special note on the occasion of her retirement.
- Febr. 2012 Do have a look at the new issues of Sign Language & Linguitics (14:2, Jan. 2012), Sign Language Studies (12:2, 12:3), and the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education (17:1, Winter 2012).
- November, 2011 A classic in sign language studies, Mary Brennan’s dissertation Word formation in British Sign Language, has been made available as a PDF file.
- July, 2011 Irish PhD student Laura Sadlier passed away; Lorraine Leeson has written an obituary.
- June, 2011 SLLS has awarded the SLLS Best Poster Prize to the following three posters presented at TISLR10:
- Brenda Nicodemus and colleagues, The impact of language modality on linguistic encoding of perceptual categories (1st Prize, €200)
- Anna Sáfár and colleagues, Handedness in the Corpus NGT (2nd Prize, €100)
- Jonathan Udoff & Karen Emmorey, Phonological constraints on handshape mapping in ASL (3rd Prize, €50)
We congratulate all winners with their prize, and encourage everyone to take another look at their posters in the Poster Archive.
- June, 2011 The SLLS board has sent a letter of support to colleagues in Italy, where the government is planning to amend laws relating to LIS in such a way that it is no longer referred to as a language, but rather as a system of mime and gesture.
- May, 2011 We have created a summary of the 124 responses to the questionnaire about the TISLR10 conference.
- Febr., 2011 The SLLS Poster Archive is now available to members who are logged in to the site, under the Scholarly Output menu. Members can download posters from the archive, and submit PDF files of their poster presentations presented at any conference.
- Jan., 2011 With sadness we report the passing away of Elena Pizzuto.
- A new web site has been launched that explains basic linguistic terminology to deaf people in international sign and a variety of spoken languages: www.signlinguistics.com.