TENURE TRACK FACULTY POSITION AND
SCIENCE DIRECTOR: SCIENCE OF LEARNING CENTER ON VISUAL LANGUAGE AND VISUAL LEARNING
(Position contingent on funding)
Gallaudet University seeks a full time tenure track faculty member who will be assigned to one of the following departments, depending on experience and qualifications: (Psychology, Linguistics, Education, or ASL-Deaf Studies). In addition to teaching at least one course per year and developing curriculum for an interdisciplinary PhD in the cognitive neuroscience of visual language and visual learning, the incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to serve as the Science Director for the Science of Learning Center (SLC) on Visual Language and Visual Learning (VL2), one of six national SLCs funded by the National Science Foundation. The purpose of VL2 is to gain a greater understanding of the biological, cognitive, linguistic, sociocultural and pedagogical conditions that influence the acquisition of language and knowledge through the visual modality. Gallaudet seeks a senior faculty member who will bring an established agenda of groundbreaking research to the Gallaudet ca
mpus and the VL2 center in an area that is compatible with the work of VL2. As the Center’s Science Director, the incumbent will work alongside the PI in overseeing the scientific activities of the Center. He/she will work closely with the Center Initiative Directors and Affiliated Researchers to ensure that the scientific achievements of the Center are at the highest caliber and consistent with the evolving theoretical framework of the Center. The incumbent will also play an integral role in the educational activities of the Center and the University and will participate in University efforts to realize an increased level of research and knowledge creation, as mandated in the University’s recently adopted long-range strategic plan.
1. Ph.D. in Linguistics, Psychology, Education, Cognitive Neuroscience or a related field.
2. Distinguished publication and grant record.
3. Significant experience as a faculty member at a University commensurate with an appointment to the rank of Associate or Full Professor
4. Experience in center-based research activities, and a commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary, team-based research.
5. An understanding of and commitment to the existing VL2 Research and Organizational Initiatives as starting points in what will continue to be a dynamic, evolving research and research-practice integration agenda.
6. Fluency in ASL and knowledge of Deaf culture. (Tenure at Gallaudet requires the achievement of Level 2.5 on the ASL Proficiency Interview.)
1. Teach at least one course per year in an area of expertise.
2. Work with home department, collaborating departments, and VL2 partner institutions to develop a VL2 curriculum, including an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in the cognitive neurocscience of visual language and visual learning.
3. Conduct a program of research that contributes significantly to the mission of VL2 and the University.
4. Direct the science agenda of VL2, working closely with the VL2 PI, Initiative Directors, and Affiliated Researchers.
5. Serve on the VL2 Scientific Management Team (SMT), comprised of the PI, the Science Director, the Administrative Director and the Research and Organizational Initiative leaders. Together, the SMT sets the overall research agenda of the center and provides leadership to over 30 ongoing, interdisciplinary research studies. Researchers at 10 different Universities, including two international universities, carry out these studies and participate in the shared governance structure of the Center.
Rank and salary: Associate or Full Professor. Rank and salary commensurate with qualifications. Credit for time in rank and progress toward tenure may be awarded at the time of hire, depending on qualifications. The position is a full time 11-month faculty appointment, with an additional 1 month granted for the additional responsibilities required to effectively direct the scientific activities of VL2.
Starting Date: January 15, 2010.
Application deadline: We will begin reviewing applications on August 1, 2009. We will continue to receive and review applications until the position is filled.
To apply: Send a letter of application, curriculum vita, and contact information for three references to:
Dr. Thomas E. Allen, PI
Science of Learning Center on Visual Language and Visual learning
Sorenson Language and Communication Center, #1223
800 Florida Avenue, NE
Washington, DC. 20002
VL2 website: http://vl2.gallaudet.edu
Gallaudet University serves deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing members of traditionally underrepresented group, people with disabilities, women and veterans to apply for open positions.