“Sign language grammars through the formal and experimental glass”
Rethymnon, University of Crete, 25 July 2018
We are pleased to announce the workshop “Sign language grammars through the formal and experimental glass”, which will take place on July 25, 2018 in Rethymnon, Crete. The workshop is organized by Josep Quer (ICREA-Universitat Pompeu Fabra) and it will be hosted by the University of Crete, within the CreteLing Summer School 2018 in Rethymnon (Greece). See http://www.phl.uoc.gr/confs/cssl18/ for more information about the school itself. The workshop is a dissemination activity of the SIGN-HUB project: “The Sign Hub: Preserving, Researching and Fostering the Linguistic, Historical and Cultural Heritage of European Deaf Signing Communities with an Integral Resource” (2016-2020) funded by the European Commission within the Horizon 2020 programme (http://www.sign-hub.eu/).
We are happy to host the following talks by SIGN-HUB researchers:
- Valentina Aristodemo (Université Paris 7 Diderot): When degrees and scales become ‘visible’: comparatives and temporal constructions in Italian Sign Language (LIS).
- Annika Herrmann (Universität Hamburg): Mental rotation, pointing, and the signing space. Eye tracking studies of German Sign Language
- Lara Mantovan (Università Ca’ Foscari, Venice): Irony in Italian Sign Language (LIS).
- Markus Steinbach (Georg-August-Universität Göttingen): Multiple perspectives and multiple contexts in German Sign Language narration.
- Giorgia Zorzi (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona): Coordination and Gapping in Catalan Sign Language.
Call for Posters
In addition, the workshop will host a poster session, and thus we invite submissions which relate to the theme of the workshop (theoretical and experimental study of sign languages) by April 20, 2018.
Please send a 500-word abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 20, 2017. (References are not included in the final word count.) Please state the author(s) name(s), affiliation(s) and contact details in the body of the email. Indicate your Deaf or hearing status as well. International Sign/ASL interpretation will be available.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by May 21, 2018.
For further information please visit http://www.phl.uoc.gr/confs/cssl18/workshopEvents.php
Deadline for submission: April 20, 2018
Notification of acceptance: May 21, 2018
Workshop date: July 25, 2018